Monday, April 27, 2009

We all airball once in a while!

Sorry its been a while since my last post. I need to do a much better job of following up and keeping everyone informed on what has been going on. I promise I will do a better job! :-)
I want to share about the last 3 ball games we have had. Last weekend, after a disappointing loss at home, we traveled 4 hours north to Geraldton. They were currently the number one ranked team in our division at 7-1 and playing very well. The team that we got hammered by just a game before at home, lost to Geraldton a week earlier by 25. So I knew we had our hands full. Now, if you are an athlete than I think you can relate to what I am going to say next. Do you ever get those feelings in the games that everything is going to be fine? Maybe the game starts our bad and people are worried, but inside you just feel at ease? This was one of those games for me. In front of a sold out crowd, we began the game down 15-0. I know right? But the thing about it was, I was happy with what we were getting. I thought our offense was smooth, we were getting great looks, and they were hitting tough shots. I told the guys in the huddle, just relax and get it back one possession at a time. Sure enough thats exactly what we did. We cut the lead to two by halftime, and in the second half outscored them easily and ran away with a 15 point win. It was the first time the club has won in Geraldton since 1998, so I felt really good about that. Needless to say the game was very interesting. Before it started I told a teammate of mine that I cannot remember the last time I actually airballed a shot in a game. Whoops, bad timing.

Not only did I airball once, oh but I did it twice. I said earlier in my posts how the fans love to give the imports a hard time, oh man. Haha lets just say I was hearing it alright! The funny thing was I wasnt embarrassed at all. My team was winning and I was playing really well, besides though two pull up jumpers lol. The best part of the game though was in the 3rd quarter. I'm glad I decided to wait until I'm overseas to have the best play of my career. I wish you would have seen it. We were pressing full court and my teammate knocked the ball loose from the ball carrier. The ball was sliding in a hurry out of bounds, so I took off. Now picture this. The floor was soooo humid, so it was already slippery enough (which was good because this would have been painful if it wasnt). My teammates fell over to the ground as well as the guard he took it from...I jumped over both of them chased the ball to the sideline. Suddenly everything stopped. It was like time froze. In my head all I could think was, "seriously, coach is going to bitch at me if I dont at least hustle after this...oh well make it look interesting Scott." I jumped from just passed the free throw elbow into a head first dive. Arms stretched out I hit the ground and like a slip and slide shot towards the sideline. To my surprize I was actually gaining on the ball. Right before it went out of bounds I scooped it (still sliding) and threw it over my left shoulder as hard as I could. I smashed into the wall shoulder first and cut my eye. As I look over my shoulder the ball somehow hit off my teammates foot, popped straight into the air into my big guys hands, who shot it, made it, and got fouled. The whole place stood up and clapped haha. I was like, "There is no way that just happened." My sweat mark on the floor was 20+ feet long! My players surrounded me and you would have thought I just hit a game winner. I looked in the crowd and the front row was bowing over hahaha! One of their players even walks up and congratulated me! I thought it was so funny. God decided to humble me however on the very next play when I airballed a ten foot jumpshot. Oh well, you win some you lose some!

We picked up two more wins this weekend and moved into 5th place outta 14. We are the hottest team in the league right now and Marcus is back playing. We really have a shot to do a lot of damage from here on out. We have the toughest first round schedule, followed by the easiest second half. We have 3 more games to go before the break so if we can manage a couple more wins, we will be sitting pretty for the next half of the season.

Aside from ball, everything is also going great! We just got back from having wine and cigars with a friend of ours in the park. Cigars probably arent the best choice, but hey its my birthday tomorrow! April came and went sooooo fast! To think we are about halfway done with our trip is unbelievable! In just about 3 months we will be flying home! Crazy to think. Summertime is coming and I hope this message finds everyone in good spirits!

Want to give a shout out to Mr. & Mrs. Leaf! Its been about 4+ years since we have gone this long without seeing you guys and Marcus and I just wanted to say that we missed you guys. We hope you are doing well and enjoying the change of weather! When we get home we want to have dinner and show you all the pictures! Plus hopefully you enjoy Wolves basketball gear ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment